Re: [REPORT] kernel BUG at fs/ext4/inode.c:2620 - page_buffers()

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Feb 23 2022 - 23:05:02 EST

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 04:44:07PM -0800, John Hubbard wrote:

> Actually...I can confirm that real customers really are doing *exactly*
> that! Despite the kernel crashes--because the crashes don't always
> happen unless you have a large (supercomputer-sized) installation. And
> even then it is not always root-caused properly.

Interesting. The syzbot reproducer triggers *reliably* on ext4 using
a 2 CPU qemu kernel running on a laptop, and it doesn't require root,
so it's reasonable that Lee is pushing for a fix --- even if for the
Android O or newer, Seccomp can probably prohibit trap
process_vm_writev(2), but it seems unfortunate if say, someone running
a Docker container could take down the entire host OS.

- Ted