Re: How should rlimits, suid exec, and capabilities interact?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Feb 23 2022 - 20:42:06 EST

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 5:24 PM Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Question: Running a suid program today charges the activity of that
> program to the user who ran that program, not to the user the program
> runs as. Does anyone see a problem with charging the user the program
> runs as?

So I think that there's actually two independent issues with limits
when you have situations like this where the actual user might be
ambiguous.

- the "who to charge" question

- the "how do we *check* the limit" question

and honestly, I think that when it comes to suid binaries, the first
question is fundamentally ambiguous, because it almost certainly
depends on the user.

Which to me implies that there probably isn't an answer that is always
right, and that what you should look at is that second option.

So I would actually suggest that the "execute a suid binary" should
charge the real user, but *because* it is suid, it should then not
check the limit (or, perhaps, should check the hard limit?).

You have to charge somebody, but at that point it's a bit ambiguous
whether it should be allowed.

Exactly so that if you're over a process limit (or something similar -
think "too many files open" or whatever because you screwed up and
opened everything) you could still log in as yourself (ssh/login
charges some admin thing, which probably has high limits or is
unlimited), and hopefully get shell access, and then be able to "exec
sudo" to actually get admin access that should be disabled from the
network.

The above is just one (traditional) example of a fork/open bomb case
where a user isn't really able to no longer function as himself, but
wants to fix things (maybe the user has another terminal open, but
then he can hopefully use a shell-buiiltin 'kill' instead).

And I'm not saying it's "the thing that needs to work". I'm more
making up an example.

So I'm only saying that the above actually has two examples to the two
sides of the coin: "login" lowering privileges to a user that may be
over some limit - and succeeding despite that - and 'suid' succeeding
despite the original user perhaps being over-committed.

So it's intended exactly as an example of "picking the new or the old
user would be wrong in either case if you check limits at the
transition point".

Hmm?

Linus