Re: dm: introduce a DM_ENFORCE_OPEN_COUNT flag.

From: Mike Snitzer
Date: Tue Feb 22 2022 - 14:16:21 EST

On Wed, Feb 02 2022 at 9:42P -0500,
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Withmy block hat on: nak to this. No block driver has any business at
> all rejecting "too many openers". In fact any opener but the first of
> a partition is already not counted as an opener, and I plan to complete
> hide the open count from the device driver.

I agree that this proposal exposes controls to userspace that simply
shouldn't be meaningful given the arbitrary nature of openers. And
preventing openers can result in a race where systemd or some other
service opens before the intended primary consumer of the device.

Seriously brittle and even if finely tuned to have a suitable value
for some niche usecase like android: an absolute hack.

Sorry, not interested in taking this.