Re: [RFC] scripts: kernel-doc: Major kernel-doc rework

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Thu Feb 17 2022 - 22:07:13 EST

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 10:04:23AM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> *I* prefer Python, and the Sphinx side of things is necessarily in
> Python, so I'd be happy to see kernel-doc move over. That said, others
> certainly disagree.
>
> Markus's work was here:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1485287564-24205-1-git-send-email-markus.heiser@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> At the time, we were just trying to get the RST transition done, and
> swapping out the kernel-doc script seemed like a major distraction that
> we didn't need, so this never got looked at as seriously as I would have
> liked.

Personally, I'd like to see us switch over to
https://github.com/jnikula/hawkmoth

but I don't have time to work on the rough edges. I really hate the
kernel-doc style; I think it makes us write very stilted documentation,
full of parameter descriptions like:

function() - Do the thing to a page.
@page: The page.

which really serves nobody. Being able to write:

function() - Do the thing to @page

is easier to both write and read.