Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.4.302-rt232 (END OF LIFE)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Feb 17 2022 - 15:58:57 EST

Hi!

> This is an update to the v4.4 stable update[1]. No RT specific changes.
>
> The v4.4-rt branch is END OF LIFE. There wont be any v4.4-rt updates
> from the stable-rt community anymore as the stable v4.4 branch reached
> END OF LIFE as well. As Greg indicated the CIP project is considering to
> support v4.4 a bit longer.

That's correct. We'll maintain 4.4 and 4.4-rt going forward, at least
on hardware our members care about.

CIP project is committed to maintain 4.4.x kernel till January of 2027
[1]. We are maintaining -cip branch [2], that is stable kernel with about
1000 of patches to support our reference hardware [3] and -cip-rt
branch, with is merge of -rt and -cip trees.

If you for some reason need 4.4.x with bug and security fixes, and are
running similar hardware to our reference hardware (x86-64 and armv7),
-cip tree may be good base for that work. Testing of the -cip tree is
welcome, as is joining the CIP project.

[1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/start
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cip/linux-cip.git/log/?h=linux-4.4.y-cip-rt
[3] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/ciptesting/cipreferencehardware

?

Best regards,
Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk