Re: [RFC V2 17/21] watchdog/dev: Add tracepoints

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Thu Feb 17 2022 - 13:17:48 EST

On 2/17/22 09:49, Gabriele Paoloni wrote:

On 17/02/2022 18:27, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On 2/17/22 08:27, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira wrote:
Hi Peter

On 2/16/22 17:01, Peter.Enderborg@xxxxxxxx wrote:
On 2/14/22 11:45, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira wrote:
Add a set of tracepoints, enabling the observability of the watchdog
device interactions with user-space.

The events are:
    watchdog:watchdog_open
    watchdog:watchdog_close
    watchdog:watchdog_start
    watchdog:watchdog_stop
    watchdog:watchdog_set_timeout
    watchdog:watchdog_ping
    watchdog:watchdog_nowayout
    watchdog:watchdog_set_keep_alive
    watchdog:watchdog_keep_alive

Some watchdogs have a bark functionality, I think it should be event
for that too.

I understand. The problems is that I do not see the bark abstraction
in the
watchdog_dev layer.

I don't even know what "bark functionality" means. A new term for
pretimeout ?
Something else ?

From my understanding the bark timeout is actually the pretimeout
whereas the bite timeout is the actual timeout.
I think in the Kernel ftwdt010_wdt and qcom-wdt are bark/bite WTDs

If that is the case, I would prefer if we could stick to existing
terminology to avoid issues like "I do not see the bark abstraction".

Thanks,
Guenter