Re: [RFC net-next 0/9] net: bridge: vlan: Multiple Spanning Trees

From: Tobias Waldekranz
Date: Wed Feb 16 2022 - 10:56:16 EST

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 17:28, Nikolay Aleksandrov <nikolay@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> | 0 | 111110 | 111110 |
>> | 10 | 110111 | 110111 |
>> '------------------------'
>>
>> What this is trying to show is that the STP state (whether MSTP is
>> used, or ye olde STP) is always accessed via the VLAN table. If STP
>> is running, all MSTI pointers in that table will reference the same
>> index in the STP stable - if MSTP is running, some VLANs may point
>> to other trees (like in this example).
>>
>> The fact that in the Linux bridge, the global state (think: index 0
>> in most hardware implementations) is supposed to override the
>> per-VLAN state, is very awkward to offload. In effect, this means
>> that when the global state changes to blocking, drivers will have to
>> iterate over all MSTIs in use, and alter them all to match. This
>> also means that you have to cache whether the hardware state is
>> currently tracking the global state or the per-VLAN state. In the
>> first case, you also have to cache the per-VLAN state so that you
>> can restore it if the global state transitions back to forwarding.
>>
>> This series adds support for an arbitrary M:N mapping of VIDs to
>> MSTIs, proposing one solution to the first issue. An example of an
>> offload implementation for mv88e6xxx is also provided. Offloading is
>> done on a best-effort basis, i.e. notifications of the relevant events
>> are generated, but there is no way for the user to see whether the
>> per-VLAN state has been offloaded or not. There is also no handling of
>> the relationship between the port-global state the the per-VLAN ditto.
>>
>> If I was king of net/bridge/*, I would make the following additional
>> changes:
>>
>> - By default, when a VLAN is created, assign it to MSTID 0, which
>> would mean that no per-VLAN state is used and that packets belonging
>> to this VLAN should be filtered according to the port-global state.
>>
>> This way, when a VLAN is configured to use a separate tree (setting
>> a non-zero MSTID), an underlying switchdev could oppose it if it is
>> not supported.
>>
>> Obviously, this adds an extra step for existing users of per-VLAN
>> STP states and would thus not be backwards compatible. Maybe this
>> means that that is impossible to do, maybe not.
>>
>> - Swap the precedence of the port-global and the per-VLAN state,
>> i.e. the port-global state only applies to packets belonging to
>> VLANs that does not make use of a per-VLAN state (MSTID != 0).
>>
>> This would make the offloading much more natural, as you avoid all
>> of the caching stuff described above.
>>
>> Again, this changes the behavior of the kernel so it is not
>> backwards compatible. I suspect that this is less of an issue
>> though, since my guess is that very few people rely on the old
>> behavior.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Interesting! Would adding a new (e.g. vlan_mst_enable) option which changes the behaviour
> as described help? It can require that there are no vlans present to change
> similar to the per-port vlan stats option.

Great idea, I did not know that that's how vlan stats worked. I will
definitely look into it, thanks!

> Also based on that option you can alter
> how the state checks are performed. For example, you can skip the initial port state
> check, then in br_vlan_allowed_ingress() you can use the port state if vlan filtering
> is disabled and mst enabled and you can avoid checking it altogether if filter && mst
> are enabled then always use the vlan mst state. Similar changes would have to happen
> for the egress path. Since we are talking about multiple tests the new MST logic can
> be hidden behind a static key for both br_handle_frame() and later stages.

Makes sense.

So should we keep the current per-VLAN state as-is then? And bolt the
MST on to the side? I.e. should `struct net_bridge_vlan` both have `u8
state` for the current implementation _and_ a `struct br_vlan_mst *`
that is populated for VLANs tied to a non-zero MSTI?

> This set needs to read a new cache line to fetch mst ptr for all packets in the vlan fast-path,
> that is definitely undesirable. Please either cache that state in the vlan and update it when
> something changes, or think of some way which avoids that cache line in fast-path.
> Alternative would be to make that cache line dependent on the new option, so it's needed
> only when mst feature is enabled.

If we go with the approach I suggested above, then the current `u8
state` on `struct net_bridge_vlan` could be that cache, right?

With the current implementation, it is set directly - in the new MST
mode all grouped VLANs would have their states updated when updating the
MSTI's state.