Re: [RFC v2 0/6] Proposal for a GPU cgroup controller

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Mon Feb 14 2022 - 14:57:42 EST

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 04:18:23PM +0000, T.J. Mercier wrote:
> The GPU/DRM cgroup controller came into being when a consensus[1]
> was reached that the resources it tracked were unsuitable to be integrated
> into memcg. Originally, the proposed controller was specific to the DRM
> subsystem and was intended to track GEM buffers and GPU-specific
> resources[2]. In order to help establish a unified memory accounting model
> for all GPU and all related subsystems, Daniel Vetter put forth a
> suggestion to move it out of the DRM subsystem so that it can be used by
> other DMA-BUF exporters as well[3]. This RFC proposes an interface that
> does the same.
>
> [1]: https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/dri-devel/cover/20190501140438.9506-1-brian.welty@xxxxxxxxx/#22624705
> [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/amd-gfx/20210126214626.16260-1-brian.welty@xxxxxxxxx/
> [3]: https://lore.kernel.org/amd-gfx/YCVOl8%2F87bqRSQei@phenom.ffwll.local/

IIRC, the only consensus was that it needs to be a separate controller and
folks had trouble agreeing on resource types, control mechanism and
interface. Imma keep an eye on how the discussion develops among GPU folks.
Please feel free to ping if there's an area my input may be useful.

Thanks.

--
tejun