Re: Question about nohz and sysidle

From: Yu Liao
Date: Mon Feb 14 2022 - 04:52:58 EST

Sorry, I sent to the old email address.

On 2022/2/14 16:28, Yu Liao wrote:
Hi Frederic,

I'm working on an issue about nohz. When NO_HZ_FULL is enabled, CPU 0 handles the timekeeping duty on behalf of all other CPUs, which means CPU 0 never stop tick even in sysidle state. This is a powersaving issue.

I found your patchset (nohz: Support sysidle) in the below link.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/1406569056-30217-1-git-send-email-fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx/
But these patches haven't been merged into mainline yet and sysidle state detection has been removed by commit fe5ac724d81a (rcu: Remove nohz_full full-system-idle state machine) as well.

I tried your patches and it does work, why are we no longer working on stopping timekeeping duty when all full dynticks CPUs are idle?

Thanks,
Yu