Re: [BUG SEVERE] Failure to enable EFI Runtime services on T2 Macs

From: Ard Biesheuvel
Date: Tue Feb 08 2022 - 09:03:44 EST

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 at 14:55, Aditya Garg <gargaditya08@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On using some specific kernel configuration, on Macs with the T2 Security chip, EFI Runtime services fail to start. Some logs which may be useful are as follows :-
>
> Feb 08 17:11:11 MacBook kernel: [Firmware Bug]: Page fault caused by firmware at PA: 0xffffa79840068000
> Feb 08 17:11:11 MacBook kernel: WARNING: CPU: 11 PID: 150 at arch/x86/platform/efi/quirks.c:735 efi_crash_gracefully_on_page_fault+0x50/0xd0

This means the firmware is broken. There is very little we can do
about this beyond disabling EFI runtime services entirely on such
systems.

> The kernel configuration where this bug is seen is on https://github.com/t2linux/T2-Ubuntu-Kernel/blob/Mainline/templates/default-config
>
> I had an old kernel configuration, where I did not face this issue and was easily able to write to the NVRAM. That kernel configuration is on https://github.com/t2linux/T2-Ubuntu-Kernel/blob/b5c20b8c7689251dd943e22dbe02cef9020db8d1/templates/default-config
>
> I believe these lines in the kernel config, which are present in the former but absent in the latter are causing the issue :-

> Especially CONFIG_LOAD_UEFI_KEYS=y is which I guess may be the culprit.

Yes, that seems likely.

> I request you to reply to my issue as soon as possible

Please stop demanding attention like this, even though it is thinly
veiled as courteous.

If you want to run bleeding edge kernels on non-standard EFI hardware,
you have to be able to sort yourself out to some extent. I am the
EFI-on-Linux maintainer, but that doesn't mean I work for you and have
to be on call to fix your problems.