Re: [RFCv3 0/6] TI camera serdes and I2C address translation (Was: [RFCv3 0/6] Hi,)

From: Vaittinen, Matti
Date: Tue Feb 08 2022 - 01:40:17 EST

Morning Tomi,

On 2/7/22 18:23, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> On 07/02/2022 16:38, Vaittinen, Matti wrote:
>> Hi again Luca,
>>
>> On 2/7/22 16:07, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
>>> Hi Matti,

>>> You are. ;)

>>> There has been quite a fiery discussion about this in the past, you can
>>> grab some popcorn and read
>>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-media/20181008211205.2900-1-vz@xxxxxxxxx/T/#m9b01af81665ac956af3c6d57810239420c3f8cee
>>>

>>> TL;DR: there have been strong opposition the the MFD idea.
>>
>> Hm. I may be missing something but I didn't see opposition to using MFD
>> or splitting the drivers. I do see opposition to adding _functionality_
>> in MFD. If I read this correctly, Lee did oppose adding the I2C stuff,
>> sysfs attributes etc in MFD. Quoting his reply:
>>
>> "This driver does too much real work ('stuff') to be an MFD driver.
>> MFD drivers should not need to care of; links, gates, modes, pixels,
>> frequencies maps or properties.  Nor should they contain elaborate
>> sysfs structures to control the aforementioned 'stuff'.
>>
>> Granted, there may be some code in there which could be appropriate
>> for an MFD driver.  However most of it needs moving out into a
>> function driver (or two)."
>>
>> And I tend to agree with Lee here. I would not put I2C bridge stuff or
>> sysfs attributes in MFD. But I think it does not mean SERDESes should
>> not use MFD when they clearly contain more IP blocks than the
>> video/media ones :) I am confident Lee and others might be much more
>> welcoming for driver which simply configures regmap and kicks subdriver
>> for doing the ATR / I2C stuff.
>
> I admit that I don't know MFD drivers too well, but I was thinking about
> this some time back and I wasn't quite sure about using MFD here.
>
> My thinking was that MFD is fine and good when a device contains more or
> less independent functionalities, like a PMIC with, say, gpios and
> regulators, both of which just work as long as the PMIC is powered up.
>
> Here all the functionalities depend on the link (fpdlink or some other
> "link" =), and the serializers. In other words, the link status or any
> changes to the link or the serializers might affect the GPIO/I2C/IRQ
> functionalities.

My use case has been such that once the link between DES & SER
established, it should not go away. If it does it is some kind of an
error and there is no recovery mechanims (at least not yet). Hence I
haven't prepared full solution how to handle dropping/re-connecting the
link or re-initializing des/ser/slaves.

> So, I don't have any clear concern here. Just a vague feeling that the
> functionalities in this kind of devices may be more tightly tied
> together than in normal MFDs. I could be totally wrong here.

I can't prove you're wrong even if that would be so cool :p

I guess a lot of this boils down how the SER behaves when link is
dropped. Does it maintain the configuration or reset to some other
state? And what happens on des & what we need to do in order to reconnect.

My initial feeling is that the DES should always be available as it is
directly connected to I2C. So DES should always be there.

Access to SERs and the devices on remote buses is naturally depending on
the link. So dropping the link means access to SERs and remote devices
start failing - which is probably visible to the MFD sub-devices as
failing regmap accesses. This needs then appropriate handling.

After that being said, I think we can't get over this problem even when
not using MFD. As far as I read your code, the SER and DES have
independent drivers also when MFD is not used. So dropping the link is
still someting that pulls the legs from the SER, right? I also guess the
remote I2C devices like sensors are also implemented as independent drivers.

Well, (I hope) I'll see where I end up with my code... It really makes
this discussion a bit dull when I can't just show the code for
comparison :/ I don't (yet) see why the MFD approach could not work, and
I still think it's worth trying - but I now certainly understand why you
hesitated using MFD. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

Best Regards
--Matti

--
The Linux Kernel guy at ROHM Semiconductors

Matti Vaittinen, Linux device drivers
ROHM Semiconductors, Finland SWDC
Kiviharjunlenkki 1E
90220 OULU
FINLAND

~~ this year is the year of a signature writers block ~~