Re: [mtd:spi-mem-ecc 30/30] ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: nand_ecc_unregister_on_host_hw_engine

From: Mark Brown
Date: Wed Feb 02 2022 - 13:04:42 EST

On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 06:35:00PM +0100, Miquel Raynal wrote:

> > depends on MTD=y if SPI_MXC=y

> In this case I believe we should also add

> depends on MTD=m if SPI_MXC=m ?

It doesn't specifically need MTD to be a module so just a straight
dependency should be fine I guess.

> Anyway, this would force building the ECC support (and MTD...) even
> though we don't need it in most cases.

> My idea was to give people the right to only select SPI_MXIC without
> really caring about MTD/ECC support at all because this is IMHO a
> valid use case. We would then save a few kiB of extra MTD fat.

Is that something that people actually do - does this controller get
used without the MTD functionality? Most of these controllers seem to
be really bad generic SPI controllers that would rarely get used for
anything other than MTD devices, if this one is a useful generic
controller your approach makes more sense although I do worry about
people getting noticably worse performance if they don't build MTD in.