Re: kselftest tree on kernelci.org

From: Shuah Khan
Date: Wed Feb 02 2022 - 10:23:32 EST

Hi Guillaume,

On 2/2/22 6:32 AM, Guillaume Tucker wrote:
Hi Shuah,

I've made this PR to start monitoring the "fixes" branch from the
kselftest tree on kernelci.org:

https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/pull/998

Thank you.

While kselftest changes eventually land in linux-next, monitoring
your tree directly means we can test it earlier and potentially
enable more build variants or experimental tests. Since
kernelci.org also builds and runs some kselftests we're regularly
finding issues and people are sending fixes for them. See this
recent story for example:

https://twitter.com/kernelci/status/1488831497259921409

Keeping an eye on kselftest patches with kernelci.org means we
can verify that fixes do what they're supposed to do with a much
larger test coverage than what individual developers can do.
We've been applying kselftest fixes on a branch managed by
kernelci.org to verify them in the past, but having the actual
kselftest tree part of the workflow would seem much better.

Absolutely.

There are several branches in your tree, while "fixes" seemed
like the most useful one to pick I see there is also a "kernelci"
branch too but it hasn't been updated for a while, reviving it
could give you the possibility to test patches through
kernelci.org before applying them on other branches that get
pulled into linux-next and mainline.

This branch was a topic branch specific for changes I made for
kernelci runs to be cleaner - I should delete this.

If you are looking for other branches to monitor in addition to
"fixes" branch, the following are the ones to add:

next (for the merge window), kunit (kunit changes slated for merge window),
kunit-fixes

Many things could potentially be done with arbitrary builds and
tests etc. These are some initial suggestions. How does this
sound?

Sounds great to me. Since selftest patches flow through various
subsystem trees, having kernelci keep an eye is great. This would
be another pair of eyes in addition to occasional tests I run and
Linaro (LKTP) monitoring next.

How often do you send reports - I will watch out for them. Thanks
again for taking the initiative to add kselftest to kernelci.

thanks,
-- Shuah