Re: Test 73 Sig_trap fails on arm64

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Tue Feb 01 2022 - 05:04:16 EST

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 at 18:55, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On 18/01/2022 12:43, Leo Yan wrote:
> >
> > Hi Will,
> >
> > Can you kindly check below the question from Leo on this issue?
> >
> > You were cc'ed earlier in this thread so should be able to find more
> > context, if needed.
>
> Hi Will, John,
>
> I wonder if PSTATE.D flag can be used to resolve this
> (similar to x86's use of EFLAGS.RF)?
> I naively tried to do:
>
> void OnSigtrap(int sig, siginfo_t* info, void* uctx) {
> auto& mctx = static_cast<ucontext_t*>(uctx)->uc_mcontext;
> mctx.pstate |= PSR_D_BIT;
> }
>
> But then I got a SIGSEGV from kernel.
> But I wasn't able to track yet what part of the kernel did
> not like setting of D bit.

I did a naive attempt of moving enabling of single-stepping from
watchpoint_handler() to rt_sigreturn(), so that we step over the
intended trapping instruction rather than first instruction of the
signal handler:
https://github.com/dvyukov/linux/commit/dfd6903d9c6538e3ad792c1df6ffbcce2072b12b
(the patch is just a prototype, wrong in lots of ways)

This almost worked:
- we correctly did not enable single-stepping for the signal handler
- rt_sigreturn correctly detected this case and enabled
single-stepping after restoring the original pr_regs

However, after re_sigreturn I got a call to single_step_handler() with
pt_regs pointing to the first instruction of the signal handler again.
I can't explain this, I am not sure how/where the signal handler PC
got into the picture again... we should have got single_step_handler()
with pt_regs pointing to the original trapping instruction (the next
instruction to be precise).