RE: [patch 21/32] NTB/msi: Convert to msi_on_each_desc()

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Thu Dec 09 2021 - 07:31:13 EST

I still need to read the last few mails but thanks for pointing it out now.

> As these devices are requiring a vIOMMU on the guest anyway (PASID, User
> IO page tables), the required hypercalls are part of the vIOMMU/IR
> implementation. If you look at it from the irqdomain hierarchy view:
>
> |- PCI-MSI
> VECTOR -- [v]IOMMU/IR -|- PCI-MSI-X
> |- PCI-IMS
>
> So host and guest use just the same representation which makes a ton of
> sense.
>
> There are two places where this matters:
>
> 1) The activate() callback of the IR domain
>
> 2) The irq_set_affinity() callback of the irqchip associated with the
> IR domain
>
> Both callbacks are allowed to fail and the error code is handed back to
> the originating call site.
>
> If you look at the above hierarchy view then MSI/MSI-X/IMS are all
> treated in exactly the same way. It all becomes the common case.
>
> No?

Yes, I think above makes sense.

For a new guest OS which supports this enlightened hierarchy the same
machinery works for all type of interrupt storages and we have a
failure path from host to guest in case of host-side resource shortage.
And no trap is required on guest access to the interrupt storage.

A legacy guest OS which doesn't support the enlightened hierarchy
can only use MSI/MSI-X which is still trapped. But with vector
reallocation support from your work the situation already improves
a lot than current awkward way in VFIO (free all previous vectors
and then re-allocate).

Overall I think this is a good modeling.

Thanks
Kevin