Re: [patch 21/32] NTB/msi: Convert to msi_on_each_desc()

From: Dave Jiang
Date: Wed Dec 01 2021 - 17:53:58 EST

On 12/1/2021 3:03 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
On Wed, Dec 01 2021 at 14:49, Dave Jiang wrote:
On 12/1/2021 2:44 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
How that is backed on the host does not really matter. You can expose
MSI-X to the guest with a INTx backing as well.

I'm still failing to see the connection between the 9 MSIX vectors and
the 2048 IMS vectors which I assume that this is the limitation of the
physical device, right?
I think I was confused with what you were asking and was thinking you
are saying why can't we just have MSIX on guest backed by the MSIX on
the physical device and thought there would not be enough vectors to
service the many guests. I think I understand what your position is now
with the clarification above.
This still depends on how this overall discussion about representation
of all of this stuff is resolved.

What needs a subdevice to expose?
Can you answer that too please?

Sorry. So initial version of the IDXD sub-device is represented with a single queue. It needs a command irq (emulated) and a completion irq that is backed by a device vector (currently IMS).

Thanks,

tglx