Re: I need advice with UPS connection. (ping)

From: David Niklas
Date: Mon Nov 22 2021 - 11:25:37 EST

On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 21:54:20 -0500
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 05:19:15PM -0500, David Niklas wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 12:08:17 -0500
> > Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> > > This will cause the kernel to ask for 1060 bytes rather than 996.
> > > (It's also potentially dangerous, because it asks for 1060 bytes to
> > > be stored into a 996-byte buffer; if the device sends more data than
> > > expected then the excess will be written beyond the end of the
> > > buffer.)
> > >
> > > Please send a usbmon trace showing what happens with this patch
> > > applied. And you might as well put the Set-Idle request back in,
> > > because now we know Windows does send that request.
> > >
> > <snip>
> >
> > It still disconnects. I've attached the usbmon output.
>
> The trace clearly shows the request for a 1060-byte HID report
> descriptor and the device sending back a 996-byte reply, just like in
> Windows. And yet the disconnect still occurs.
>
> The only remaining difference is the transfer of string descriptors.
> You can prevent Linux from asking for them by editing usb_string() in
> drivers/usb/core/message.c. Just make the function return -ENOMEM
> unconditionally. That will stop the requests from going out.
>
> Alan Stern

Ok, I first edited the kernel to return -ENOMEM like you suggested but
the UPS still disconnected. I then edited it again to re-add the 1060
byte request and the UPS still disconnected.

I'm attaching the usbmon traces.
If you need any additional info I'll do my best to provide it.

Thanks,
David