Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for 5.16-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Nov 19 2021 - 14:29:44 EST

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 10:20 AM James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Six fixes, five in drivers (ufs, qla2xxx, iscsi) and one core change to
> fix a regression in user space device state setting, which is used by
> the iscsi daemons to effect device recovery.

Language nit.

One of the few correct uses of "to effect" - but perhaps best avoided
just because even native speakers get it wrong. And we have a lot of
non-native speakers too.

It might have been clearer to just say "to start device recovery" or
perhaps just "as part of device recovery". Just to avoid confusion
with "affect". Which it obviously _also_ does.

I kept your wording, but this is just a note that maybe commit
messages should strive to generally use fairly basic English language
and try to avoid things that are known to trip people up.

Linus