Re: [git pull] drm fixes + one missed next for 5.16-rc1

From: Daniel Vetter
Date: Mon Nov 15 2021 - 09:30:20 EST

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 08:18:53AM +0100, Thomas Hellström wrote:
> On 11/14/21 22:19, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 1:00 PM Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > i915 will no longer be x86-64 only in theory, since Intel now produces
> > > PCIe graphics cards using the same hw designs.
> > Well, at least in my tree, it still has the "depends on X86", along
> > with several other x86-only things (like "select INTEL_GTT", which is
> > also x86-only)

Yeah it's work in progress and 12+ years of x86 pile up high&deep aren't
easy to fix. So please assume the depends on X86 is gone already (and
select INTEL_GTT is optional, it's only needed for igfx older than about 8
years or so), but we can't do that yet because all the build boots would
run out of air screaming so much :-)

> > So by the time that non-x86 theory becomes reality, hopefully the i915
> > people will also have figured out how to do the cache flushing
> > properly.
> >
> > And hopefully that "do it properly" ends up being simply that the
> > particular configuration that ends up being portable simply doesn't
> > need to do it at all and can statically just not build it,
> > sidestepping the issue entirely.
> >
> > Fingers crossed.
>
> For non-x86 / discrete graphics, plan is only coherent mappings, although
> the "Just not build it" part hasn't been properly figured out yet I guess.
> But point taken.

Yeah for non-x86 it'll be standard dma-api all the way down. For x86 that
ship sailed long ago, but also I'm not clear on why we added a new cache
flush primitive for that instead of just continuing to use clflush like
we've done since forever. For x86 integrated gpu we _know_ which cpu is
there, clflush will exist. So any new horrors shouldn't be needed, not
sure why a wbinvd_on_all_cpus slipped in.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation