Re: Linux 5.16-rc1

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Nov 15 2021 - 01:33:54 EST

On 11/14/21 9:21 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 8:56 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

With gcc 5.4, mips:mapta_defconfig
mips-linux-gcc.br_real: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wimplicit-fallthrough=5’

This (and the gcc-6.x ones for sh4eb/sparc/xtensa) are already fixed
in my tree. They're all "old gcc didn't support that flag" things with
a trivial one-liner fix.

I was hoping you didn't have older gcc versions, but you clearly do ;^p

I have to, for qemu. In some cases the new compilers don't work with
old kernels (eg sparc) and I prefer to use a single compiler for all
kernel versions, in other cases newer versions of gcc have trouble (sheb),
and for xtensa building a compiler that works for a given hardware model
is tricky so I try to avoid it as long as I can.

Guenter