Re: [git pull] drm fixes + one missed next for 5.16-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Nov 12 2021 - 15:16:54 EST

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 7:25 PM Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I missed a drm-misc-next pull for the main pull last week. It wasn't
> that major and isn't the bulk of this at all. This has a bunch of
> fixes all over, a lot for amdgpu and i915.

Ugh.

The i915 conflict was trivial, but made me aware of that absolutely
disgusting "wbinvd_on_all_cpus()" hack.

And that thing is much too ugly to survive. I made my merge resolution
remove that disgusting thing.

That driver is x86-only anyway, so it all seemed completely bogus in
the first place.

And if there is some actual non-x86 work in progress for i915, then
that wbinvd_on_all_cpus() needs to be replaced with something proper
and architecture-neutral anyway, most definitely involving a name
change, and almost certainly also involving a range for the cache
writeback.

Because that "create broken macro on other architectures" thing is
*NOT* acceptable.

And I sincerely hope to the gods that no cache-incoherent i915 mess
ever makes it out of the x86 world. Incoherent IO was always a
historical mistake and should never ever happen again, so we should
not spread that horrific pattern around.

Linus