Re: [GIT PULL] mtd: Changes for 5.16

From: Miquel Raynal
Date: Mon Nov 08 2021 - 03:22:12 EST

Hi Linus,

torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on Sun, 7 Nov 2021 11:05:02 -0800:

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 8:46 AM Miquel Raynal <miquel.raynal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > This is the MTD PR for 5.16.
>
> I want _explanations_ for what I'm pulling.
>
> Yes, I can see it by looking at the diffs and shortlog, but I shouldn't need to.
>
> I want a short blurb about what the pull is getting me, and why I
> should pull it, not just a "here's a random pull".

Sorry for the error, as you can see in the original e-mail, I generated
the pull request aginst 'mtd/next' (the branch name), instead of
'mtd/for-5.16', the signed tag with the below description written for
the occasion. I am going to resend the pull-request with these missing
bits.

Core:
* Remove obsolete macros only used by the old nand_ecclayout struct
* Don't remove debugfs directory if device is in use
* MAINTAINERS:
- Add entry for Qualcomm NAND controller driver
- Update the devicetree documentation path of hyperbus

MTD devices:
* block2mtd:
- Add support for an optional custom MTD label
- Minor refactor to avoid hard coded constant
* mtdswap: Remove redundant assignment of pointer eb

CFI:
* Fixup CFI on ixp4xx

Raw NAND controller drivers:
* Arasan:
- Prevent an unsupported configuration
* Xway, Socrates: plat_nand, Pasemi, Orion, mpc5121, GPIO, Au1550nd, AMS-Delta:
- Keep the driver compatible with on-die ECC engines
* cs553x, lpc32xx_slc, ndfc, sharpsl, tmio, txx9ndfmc:
- Revert the commits: "Fix external use of SW Hamming ECC helper"
- And let callers use the bare Hamming helpers
* Fsmc: Fix use of SM ORDER
* Intel:
- Fix potential buffer overflow in probe
* xway, vf610, txx9ndfm, tegra, stm32, plat_nand, oxnas, omap, mtk, hisi504,
gpmi, gpio, denali, bcm6368, atmel:
- Make use of the helper function devm_platform_ioremap_resource{,byname}()

Onenand drivers:
* Samsung: Drop Exynos4 and describe driver in KConfig

Raw NAND chip drivers:
* Hynix: Add support for H27UCG8T2ETR-BC MLC NAND

SPI NOR core:
* Add spi-nor device tree binding under SPI NOR maintainers

SPI NOR manufacturer drivers:
* Enable locking for n25q128a13

SPI NOR controller drivers:
* Use devm_platform_ioremap_resource_byname()

> I wrote my own explanation, and then decided that no, I'm not going to
> pull at all because the pull request was so bad and deficient.

I hope you will reconsider this position when I will re-send the
actual pull request with the above text which was missing.

Thanks,
Miquèl