Re: linux-next: build warnings after merge of the drivers-x86 tree

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Thu Oct 21 2021 - 17:10:35 EST

[CC += Mauro]

Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 09:07:03 +0000 Vadim Pasternak <vadimp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> What is wrong with the syntax at line 230 and where blank line is expected?
>>
>> What: /sys/devices/platform/mlxplat/mlxreg-io/hwmon/hwmon*/bios_active_image
>> What: /sys/devices/platform/mlxplat/mlxreg-io/hwmon/hwmon*/bios_auth_fail
>> What: /sys/devices/platform/mlxplat/mlxreg-io/hwmon/hwmon*/bios_upgrade_fail
>> Date: October 2021 <--- this is line 230
>> KernelVersion: 5.16
>
> I am sorry, I don't know. Added Jon to cc for advice.

The problem isn't that line at all, it's the use of a bulleted list a
few lines further down; that doesn't work in ABI files.

Mauro, this ABI stuff is fragile, and this kind of problem occurs fairly
often. How hard would it be to (1) make it a bit more robust, (2) make
it issue useful warnings where it can't be robust, and (3) properly
document the restrictions for ABI files?

Meanwhile, the attached patch fixes it; feel free to use it or to just
fold the change into your work.

Thanks,

jon