Re: Folios for 5.15 request - Was: re: Folio discussion recap -

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Thu Oct 21 2021 - 08:45:24 EST

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 02:35:32PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> My opinion after all the discussions: use a dedicate type with a clear
> name to solve the immediate filemap API issue. Leave the remainder alone
> for now. Less code to touch, less subsystems to involve (well, still a
> lot), less people to upset, less discussions to have, faster review,
> faster upstream, faster progress. A small but reasonable step.

I didn't change anything I didn't need to. File pages go onto the
LRU list, so I need to change the LRU code to handle arbitrary-sized
folios instead of pages which are either order-0 or order-9. Every
function that I convert in this patchset is either used by another
function in this patchset, or by the fs/iomap conversion that I have
staged for the next merge window after folios goes in.