Re: Retrieving the network namespace of a socket

From: Sargun Dhillon
Date: Wed Oct 20 2021 - 12:34:29 EST

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 05:03:56PM +0300, Sergey Ryazanov wrote:
> Hello Sargun,
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 12:57 PM Sargun Dhillon <sargun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm working on a problem where I need to determine which network namespace a
> > given socket is in. I can currently bruteforce this by using INET_DIAG, and
> > enumerating namespaces and working backwards.
>
> Namespace is not a per-socket, but a per-process attribute. So each
> socket of a process belongs to the same namespace.
>
> Could you elaborate what kind of problem you are trying to solve?
> Maybe there is a more simple solution. for it.
>
> --
> Sergey

That's not entirely true. See the folowing code:

int main() {
int fd1, fd2;
fd1 = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
assert(fd1 >= 0);
assert(unshare(CLONE_NEWNET) == 0);
fd2 = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
assert(fd2 >= 0);
}

fd1 and fd2 have different sock_net.

The context for this is:
https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/11/contributions/932/

We need to figure out, for a given socket, if it has reachability to a given IP.