Re: [RFC] drm/msm/dp: Allow attaching a drm_panel

From: Doug Anderson
Date: Tue Oct 05 2021 - 11:39:40 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 6:09 PM Bjorn Andersson
<bjorn.andersson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon 04 Oct 17:36 PDT 2021, Doug Anderson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 2:00 PM Bjorn Andersson
> > <bjorn.andersson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Finally got back to this, changed it to 1 and figured out why I left it
> > > at 2.
> > >
> > > drm_of_find_panel_or_bridge() on a DP controller will find the of_graph
> > > reference to the USB-C controller, scan through the registered panels
> > > and conclude that the of_node of the USB-C controller isn't a registered
> > > panel and return -EPROBE_DEFER.
> >
> > I'm confused, but maybe it would help if I could see something
> > concrete. Is there a specific board this was happening on?
> >

> Right, let's make this more concrete with a snippet from the actual
> SC8180x DT.
>
> > Under the DP node in the device tree I expect:
> >
> > ports {
> > port@1 {
> > reg = <1>;
> > edp_out: endpoint {
> > remote-endpoint = <&edp_panel_in>;
> > };
> > };
> > };
> >

> /* We got a panel */
> panel {
> ports {
> port {
> auo_b133han05_in: endpoint {
> remote-endpoint = <&mdss_edp_out>;
> };
> };
> };
> };
>
> /* And a 2-port USB-C controller */
> type-c-controller {
> connector@0 {
> ports {
> port@0 {
> reg = <0>;
> ucsi_port_0_dp: endpoint {
> remote-endpoint = <&dp0_mode>;
> };
> };
>
> port@1 {
> reg = <1>;
> ucsi_port_0_switch: endpoint {
> remote-endpoint = <&primary_qmp_phy>;
> };
> };
> };
> };
>
> connector@1 {
> ports {
> port@0 {
> reg = <0>;
> ucsi_port_1_dp: endpoint {
> remote-endpoint = <&dp1_mode>;
> };
> };
>
> port@1 {
> reg = <1>;
> ucsi_port_1_switch: endpoint {
> remote-endpoint = <&second_qmp_phy>;
> };
> };
> };
> };
> };
>
> /* And then our 2 DP and single eDP controllers */
> &mdss_dp0 {
> ports {
> port@1 {
> [...]

As far as I can tell the way this would be solved would be to actually
pass &bridge in and then make sure that a bridge would be in place for
the DP connector. In the full DP case you'll get an -EPROBE_DEFER if
the connector hasn't been probed but once it's probed then it should
register as a bridge and thus give you the info you need (AKA that
this isn't a panel).

I haven't done the digging to see how all this works, but according to
Laurent [1]: "Physical connectors are already handled as bridges, see
drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/display-connector.c"

So basically I think this is solvable in code and there's no reason to
mess with the devicetree bindings to solve this problem. Does that
sound right?

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/YUvMv+Y8tFcWPEHd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/