Re: [RFC 06/20] iommu: Add iommu_device_init[exit]_user_dma interfaces

From: David Gibson
Date: Fri Oct 01 2021 - 00:14:12 EST

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 07:28:18PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:09:22PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
>
> > > The *admin* the one responsible to understand the groups, not the
> > > applications. The admin has no idea what a group FD is - they should
> > > be looking at the sysfs and seeing the iommu_group directories.
> >
> > Not just the admin. If an app is given two devices in the same group
> > to use *both* it must understand that and act accordingly.
>
> Yes, but this is true regardless of what the uAPI is,

Yes, but formerly it was explicit and now it is implicit. Before we
said "attach this group to this container", which can reasonably be
expected to affect the whole group. Now we say "attach this device to
this IOAS" and it silently also affects other devices.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson