Re: QA: Monitor Linux log messages as port of release (candidate) testing

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Sep 07 2021 - 08:53:59 EST

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 10:40:31AM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Guenter,
>

> Thank you for testing release candidates and releases [1]. Is your test
> setup documented somewhere?

Not really, except its source is available at github:
https://github.com/groeck/linux-build-test

> If not happening already, could the Linux messages (at least up to log level
> warning) also be monitored? For example, in Linux 5.14, a new warning snuck
> in by cefc7ca462 (ACPI: PRM: implement OperationRegion handler for the
> PlatformRtMechanism subtype) [2], which could have been caught early on, and
> fixed before the release.
>
> The test summaries would then also notify about possible behavior change.

Logs are available and can be examined at kerneltests.org/builders.
Reports are generated manually, so it would be way too much effort to add
build warnings to those. Besides, logs are way too noisy to be useful in a
summary e-mail.

Also, Geert's build reports already provide build warnings and errors.
The same applies to reports sent by 0-day. Indeed, I do see at least
one 0-day report against commit cefc7ca46235. What would be the point
of adding yet another report of build warnings on top of that ?

Thanks,
Guenter