Re: [GIT PULL v2] Kbuild updates for v5.15-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Sep 04 2021 - 13:22:52 EST

On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 8:19 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In any case, it would be nice to know what the real motivation is.

I don't know about the original motivation, but the reason I like that
patch after-the-fact is that I've actually been in situations where I
test out self-built compilers without installing them.

Then it's convenient to have a completely standalone kernel tree.

Nobody cares about things like <stdatomic.h> They are completely
irrelevant for the kernel, exactly because we've always just done our
own, or used __builtin_xyz() for things.

<stdarg.h> is the only actual core header file that we have always
taken from the installed system headers - because historically it
really was required. Everything else we can just do ourselves.

Linus