Re: Removing Mandatory Locks

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon Aug 23 2021 - 03:56:13 EST

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 10:30 AM David Laight <David.Laight@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Do we really need more of these?
They take time to print (especially on serial
consoles) and increase kernel size.

What's wrong with using an appropriate KERN_*, and letting userspace
make sure the admin/user will see the message (see below)?

> > I don't know if distros have some pattern we could use that would end
> > up being something that gets reported to the user?
>
> Will users even see it?
> A lot of recent distro installs try very hard to hide all the kernel
> messages.

Exactly. E.g. Ubuntu doesn't show any kernel output during normal
operation.

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 6:12 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 6:43 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:32:31 -0700
> > Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know if distros have some pattern we could use that would end
> > > up being something that gets reported to the user?

> So what would be more interesting is if there's some distro support
> for showing kernel notifications..
>
> I see new notifications for calendar events, for devices that got
> mounted, for a lot of things - so I'm really wondering if somebody
> already perhaps had something for specially formatted kernel
> messages..

Isn't that what the old syslog and the new systemd are supposed to
handle in userspace?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds