Removing Mandatory Locks

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Tue Aug 17 2021 - 12:48:46 EST

Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 05:49:19PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> [0] we have mandatory locks, too. Sigh.
>
> I'd love to remove that. Perhaps we could try persuading more of the
> distros to disable the CONFIG option first.

Yes. The support is disabled in RHEL8.

Does anyone know the appropriate people to talk to encourage other
distro's to encourage them to disable the CONFIG_MANDATORY_FILE_LOCKING?

Either that or we can wait until the code bit-rots, but distro's
disabling and removing a feature on their own is the more responsible
path.

Given how many hoops need to be jumped through to use mandatory file
locking once it is enabled, and the fact it has never worked in
containers makes me suspect there are no more users.

Eric