LDD 3rd ed. - It was: Re: read() via USB bus

From: Fabio M. De Francesco
Date: Thu Aug 12 2021 - 05:45:52 EST

Hi Greg,

On Monday, August 9, 2021 10:44:23 AM CEST Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 10:15:29AM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> > On 09.08.21 09:58, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > PCIe memory mapped registers can be read via readb(), readw(), readl()
> > > kernel API's. Similarly what are the kernel API to read the device
> > > registers via USB bus
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I hope this list stays friendly to newcomers and we will answer
> > specific questions, but at this point I must advise you to first
> > read an introductory book.
>
> Along these lines, take a look at the book, Linux Device Drivers, third
> edition, which is free online, as it has a chapter about USB drivers and
> how they work. That should help you out to understand the issues
> involved with USB devices.

I've heard that your book, LDD 3rd edition, has become obsolete a long time
ago and most sample code cannot anymore build. Reading what you wrote above
seems to contradict what I've been told by others... I must admit that I've
just had a print copy of it that I have not yet opened for reading, therefore
maybe that I'm totally wrong in assuming the above.

Do you mind to elaborate a bit more on this subject, please? I mean: can you
point out which chapters, which content, should be skipped (if there's really
something which is no more correct/relevant to today's practice of drivers
development and kernel hacking?

One more question, please... if after carefully studying its content, someone
wanted to change and update part of the book content to reflect the changes in
Linux API and in the current best practices, would it be (legally) allowed to
publish a v4 on GitHub for the convenience of everyone interested in learning
for free? However, I understand that it would be not so easy to come up with a
good and error free text if not addressed as a public long term project and
I'm also not sure of what tools are needed to edit PDF files. (At the moment
my question is for a hypothetical scenario, just to know whether or not it
would be technically and legally doable).

I suppose that the answers to the above questions might be of interest to a
lot of newcomers like me, so please, if you have time, I'd appreciate to read
your reply.

Thanks,

Fabio