Re: [mm] 2d146aa3aa: vm-scalability.throughput -36.4% regression

From: Johannes Weiner
Date: Wed Aug 11 2021 - 16:12:06 EST

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 07:59:53PM -1000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 4:59 PM kernel test robot <oliver.sang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > FYI, we noticed a -36.4% regression of vm-scalability.throughput due to commit:
> > 2d146aa3aa84 ("mm: memcontrol: switch to rstat")
>
> Hmm. I guess some cost is to be expected, but that's a big regression.
>
> I'm not sure what the code ends up doing, and how relevant this test
> is, but Johannes - could you please take a look?
>
> I can't make heads nor tails of the profile. The profile kind of points at this:
>
> > 2.77 ą 12% +27.4 30.19 ą 8% perf-profile.children.cycles-pp.native_queued_spin_lock_slowpath
> > 2.86 ą 12% +27.4 30.29 ą 8% perf-profile.children.cycles-pp._raw_spin_lock_irqsave
> > 2.77 ą 12% +27.4 30.21 ą 8% perf-profile.children.cycles-pp.lock_page_lruvec_irqsave
> > 4.26 ą 10% +28.1 32.32 ą 7% perf-profile.children.cycles-pp.lru_cache_add
> > 4.15 ą 10% +28.2 32.33 ą 7% perf-profile.children.cycles-pp.__pagevec_lru_add
>
> and that seems to be from the chain __do_fault -> shmem_fault ->
> shmem_getpage_gfp -> lru_cache_add -> __pagevec_lru_add ->
> lock_page_lruvec_irqsave -> _raw_spin_lock_irqsave ->
> native_queued_spin_lock_slowpath.
>
> That shmem_fault codepath being hot may make sense for sokme VM
> scalability test. But it seems to make little sense when I look at the
> commit that it bisected to.
>
> We had another report of this commit causing a much more reasonable
> small slowdown (-2.8%) back in May.
>
> I'm not sure what's up with this new report. Johannes, does this make
> sense to you?
>
> Is it perhaps another "unlucky cache line placement" thing? Or has the
> statistics changes just changed the behavior of the test?

I'm at a loss as well.

The patch only changes how we aggregate the cgroup's memory.stat file,
it doesn't influence reclaim/LRU operations.

The test itself isn't interacting with memory.stat either - IIRC it
doesn't even run inside a dedicated cgroup in this test
environment. The patch should actually reduce accounting overhead here
because we switched from batched percpu flushing during updates to
only flushing when the stats are *read* - which doesn't happen here.

That would leave cachelines. But the cachelines the patch touched are
in struct mem_cgroup, whereas the lock this profile points out is in a
separately allocated per-node structure. The cache footprint on the
percpu data this test is hammering also didn't increase; it actually
decreased a bit, but not sure where this could cause conflicts.

I'll try to reproduce this on a smaller setup. But I have to say, I've
seen a few of these bisection reports now that didn't seem to make any
sense, which is why I've started to take these with a grain of salt.