Re: RCU vs data_race()

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue Jul 06 2021 - 04:00:10 EST

Sorry for the late reply, thread got snowed under :/

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 06:37:57AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 09:28:02AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > Earlier, you said pr_warn(). Above, I said pr_*(). Now you say
> > > pr_err(). But OK...
> >
> > Same, thing.. also Sundays aren't great for details it seems :-)
>
> I know that feeling! ;-)
>
> > > Let's take for example the pr_err() in __call_rcu(), that is, the
> > > double-free diagnostic. A KCSAN warning on the unmarked load from
> > > head->func could give valuable information on the whereabouts of the
> > > other code interfering with the callback. Blanket disabling of KCSAN
> > > across all pr_err() calls (let alone all pr_*() calls) would be the
> > > opposite of helpful.
> >
> > I'm confused. That pr_err() should never happen in a correct program. If
> > it happens, fix it and any data race as a consequence of that pr_err()
> > no longer exists either.
> >
> > I fundementally don't see the relevance of a possible data race from a
> > statement that should never happen in a correct program to begin with.
> >
> > Why do you think otherwise?
>
> Because detection of that data race can provide valuable debugging help.

In that case, would not an explicit: data_debug(addr) call (implemented
by KASAN/KCSAN/whoever), which would report whatever knowledge they have
about that address, be even more useful?

Then you don't need to hope that there's a data race of sorts in order
to obtain said information.

That is; if you want information, explicitly asking for it seems *much*
better than hoping.