Re: Question about a8ea6fc9b089 ("sched: Stop PF_NO_SETAFFINITY from being inherited by various init system threads")

From: Valentin Schneider
Date: Thu Jun 10 2021 - 14:29:05 EST

On 10/06/21 10:04, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

Hi,
> Hello, Frederic,
>
> This commit works well, but has the unfortunate side-effect of making
> smp_processor_id() complain when used in a preemptible region even
> though the kthread has been pinned onto a single CPU by a call to
> set_cpus_allowed_ptr(). (Which did return success.)

On which tree are you encountering this?

Looking at check_preemption_disabled() and CPU affinity, v5.13-rc5 has:

/*
* Kernel threads bound to a single CPU can safely use
* smp_processor_id():
*/
if (current->nr_cpus_allowed == 1)
goto out;

tip/sched/core additionally hinges that on PF_NO_SETAFFINITY:

570a752b7a9b ("lib/smp_processor_id: Use is_percpu_thread() instead of nr_cpus_allowed")

The former shouldn't be affected by Frederic's patch, and the latter should
only cause warnings if the pinned task isn't a "proper" kthread (thus
doesn't have PF_NO_SETAFFINITY)... Exceptions that come to mind are things
like UMH which doesn't use kthread_create().