Re: [GIT PULL] memory: Tegra memory controller for v5.14

From: Thierry Reding
Date: Thu Jun 10 2021 - 05:17:45 EST

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 05:48:51PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 04:38:48PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a tonne of code for me to pull into the SMMU tree given that I only
> > > want one patch!
> > >
> > > Thierry, if I just stick:
> > >
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/r/20210603164632.1000458-4-thierry.reding@xxxxxxxxx
> > >
> > > on its own branch, can you stitch together whatever you need?
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand what you're proposing. For reference, here's
> > the set of patches that I sent out:
> >
> > 1. memory: tegra: Implement SID override programming
> > 2. dt-bindings: arm-smmu: Add Tegra186 compatible string
> > 3. iommu/arm-smmu: Implement ->probe_finalize()
> > 4. iommu/arm-smmu: tegra: Detect number of instances at runtime
> > 5. iommu/arm-smmu: tegra: Implement SID override programming
> > 6. iommu/arm-smmu: Use Tegra implementation on Tegra186
> > 7. arm64: tegra: Use correct compatible string for Tegra186 SMMU
> > 8. arm64: tegra: Hook up memory controller to SMMU on Tegra186
> > 9. arm64: tegra: Enable SMMU support on Tegra194
> >
> > Krzysztof already picked up patch 1 and I was assuming that you'd pick
> > up 2-6 because they are to the ARM SMMU driver. However, if you're
> > primarily interested in just patch 3, which is more "core" ARM SMMU than
> > the rest, which are Tegra-specific, then I suppose what we could do is
> > for you to give an Acked-by on the rest (2, 4-6) and then Krzysztof or I
> > can pick them up and take them via ARM SoC, based on the stable branch
> > from your tree that only has patch 3.
>
> I think you previously said that patch 5 depends on patch 1, so I can't
> take 2-6 without also pulling in the memory controller queue.
>
> > Patch 6 touches arm-smmu-impl.c, though it's a two-line change that
> > touches only the Tegra-specific matching bit in arm_smmu_impl_init(), so
> > the likelihood of that conflicting with anything else is fairly small.
> >
> > Is that what you were proposing?
>
> I can queue as much or as little of 2-6 as you like, but I would like to
> avoid pulling in the memory controller queue into the arm smmu tree. But
> yes, whichever of those I take, I can put them on a separate branch so
> that you're not blocked for the later patches.
>
> You have a better handle on the dependencies, so please tell me what works
> for you. I just want to make sure that at least patch 3 lands in my tree,
> so we don't get late conflicts with other driver changes.

Yes, if you could pick up patch 3 and send out a link with the stable
branch, I think Krzysztof or I could pull in that branch and pick up the
remaining patches. It'd be good if you could also ack the remaining SMMU
patches so that ARM SoC knows that they've been sanctioned.

Krzysztof: would you be okay with picking up patches 2 and 4-6 on top of
your memory branch for v5.14?

Thierry