Re: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Wed Jun 09 2021 - 05:11:36 EST

On 09/06/21 10:51, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
On 08.06.21 21:00, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

Eg I can do open() on a file and I get to keep that FD. I get to keep
that FD even if someone later does chmod() on that file so I can't
open it again.

There are lots of examples where a one time access control check
provides continuing access to a resource. I feel the ongoing proof is
the rarity in Unix.. 'revoke' is an uncommon concept in Unix..

Yes, it's even possible that somebody w/ privileges opens an fd and
hands it over to somebody unprivileged (eg. via unix socket). This is
a very basic unix concept. If some (already opened) fd now suddenly
behaves differently based on the current caller, that would be a break
with traditional unix semantics.

That's already more or less meaningless for both KVM and VFIO, since they are tied to an mm.

Paolo