Re: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal

From: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Date: Tue Jun 08 2021 - 06:44:13 EST

On 04.06.21 14:30, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

Hi,

Containers already needed to do this today. Container orchestration is
hard.

Yes, but I hate to see even more work upcoming here.

Yes, /dev/ioasid shouldn't do anything unless you have a device to
connect it with. In this way it is probably safe to stuff it into
every container.

Okay, if we can guarantee that, I'm completely fine.

Having FDs spawn other FDs is pretty ugly, it defeats the "everything
is a file" model of UNIX.

Unfortunately, this is already defeated in many other places :(
(I'd even claim that ioctls already break it :p)

I think you are reaching a bit :)

It seems your approach also breaks this, since we now need to open two
files in order to talk to one device.

It is two devices, thus two files.

Two separate real (hardware) devices or just two logical device nodes ?

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert