RE: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Tue Jun 01 2021 - 22:20:37 EST

invlpg -> wbinvd :)

> present and be able to test if DMA for that device is cache coherent.
> The user, QEMU, creates a KVM "pseudo" device representing the vfio
> group, providing the file descriptor of that group to show ownership.
> The ugly symbol_get code is to avoid hard module dependencies, ie. the
> kvm module should not pull in or require the vfio module, but vfio will
> be present if attempting to register this device.

so the symbol_get thing is not about the protocol itself. Whatever protocol
is defined, as long as kvm needs to call vfio or ioasid helper function, we
need define a proper way to do it. Jason, what's your opinion of alternative
option since you dislike symbol_get?

> With kvmgt, the interface also became a way to register the kvm pointer
> with vfio for the translation mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
>
> The PPC/SPAPR support allows KVM to associate a vfio group to an IOMMU
> page table so that it can handle iotlb programming from pre-registered
> memory without trapping out to userspace.
>
> > Because KVM deduces some policy based on the fact of assigned device,
> > it needs to hold a reference to related vfio group. this part is irrelevant
> > to this RFC.
>
> All of these use cases are related to the IOMMU, whether DMA is
> coherent, translating device IOVA to GPA, and an acceleration path to
> emulate IOMMU programming in kernel... they seem pretty relevant.

One open is whether kvm should hold a device reference or IOASID
reference. For DMA coherence, it only matters whether assigned
devices are coherent or not (not for a specific address space). For kvmgt,
it is for recoding kvm pointer in mdev driver to do write protection. For
ppc, it does relate to a specific I/O page table.

Then I feel only a part of the protocol will be moved to /dev/ioasid and
something will still remain between kvm and vfio?

> > But ARM's VMID usage is related to I/O address space thus needs some
> > consideration. Another strange thing is about PPC. Looks it also leverages
> > this protocol to do iommu group attach: kvm_spapr_tce_attach_iommu_
> > group. I don't know why it's done through KVM instead of VFIO uAPI in
> > the first place.
>
> AIUI, IOMMU programming on PPC is done through hypercalls, so KVM
> needs
> to know how to handle those for in-kernel acceleration. Thanks,

ok.

Thanks
Kevin