[ANNOUNCE] kmod 29

From: Lucas De Marchi
Date: Thu May 20 2021 - 19:36:09 EST

kmod 29 is out:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod-29.tar.xz
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod-29.tar.sign

- Improvements
- Add support to use /usr/local as a place for configuration files. This makes it easier
to install locally without overriding distro files.

- Bug fixes
- Fix `modinfo -F` when module is builtin: when we asked by a specific field from modinfo,
it was not working correctly if the module was builtin

- Documentation fixes on precedence order of /etc and /run: the correct order is
/etc/modprobe.d, /run/modprobe.d, /lib/modprobe.d

- Fix the priority order that we use for searching configuration files. The
correct one is /etc, /run, /usr/local/lib, /lib, for both modprobe.d
and depmo.d

- Fix kernel command line parsing when there are quotes present. Grub
mangles the command line and changes it from 'module.option="val with
spaces"' to '"module.option=val with spaces"'. Although this is weird
behavior and grub could have been fixed, the kernel understands it
correctly for builtin modules. So change libkmod to also parse it
correctly. This also brings another hidden behavior from the kernel:
newline in the kernel command line is also allowed and can be used to
separate options.

- Fix a memory leak, overflow and double free on error path

- Fix documentation for return value from kmod_module_get_info(): we
return the number of entries we added to the list

- Fix output of modules.builtin.alias.bin index: we were writing an empty file due to
the misuse of kmod_module_get_info()

- Infra/internal
- Retire integration with semaphoreci

- Declare the github mirror also as an official upstream source: now besides accepting
patches via mailing list, PRs on github are also acceptable

- Misc improvements to testsuite, so we can use it reliably regardless
of the configuration used: now tests will skip if we don't have the
build dependencies)

Shortlog is below:

Lucas De Marchi (17):
README: remove leftover from semaphoreci
libkmod: Fix documentation on config precedence order
depmod: fix precedence order
Support /usr/local for configuration files
README: make github mirror official
testsuite: compress modules if feature is enabled
testsuite: also test xz compression
libkmod-config: revamp kcmdline parsing into a state machine
libkmod-config: re-quote option from kernel cmdline
testsuite: allow to re-use single function for tests
test-modprobe: share single function for kcmdline tests
libkmod-config: more chars allowed as space
gitignore: ignore .mbx and .cover for b4 integration
Fix return value doc for kmod_module_get_info()
depmod: fix modules.builtin.alias.bin output
testsuite: update gitignore
kmod 29

Seung-Woo Kim (3):
libkmod-config: fix a memory leak when kmod_list_append() fails
libkmod: fix an overflow with wrong modules.builtin.modinfo
libkmod: fix possible double free with wrong modules.builtin.modinfo

Marius Bakke (2):
testsuite: Add facility to skip tests.
testsuite: Automatically skip tests that fail when sysconfdir != /etc.

Dave Reisner (1):
populate-modules: Use more bash, more quotes

Marco d'Itri (1):
Fix "modinfo -F always shows name for built-ins"

Thank you all for the contributions.

Lucas De Marchi