Calling queue_work() multiple times with the same work_struct

From: Jason Andryuk
Date: Thu May 20 2021 - 09:03:59 EST

Hi,

I'm looking for clarification of the behavior of queue_work(). From
the header description, I'm not sure if I need additional complexity
for re-queuing work.

I want to ensure the following cases all occur when calling queue_work().
1) work_struct not queued -> work_struct queued
2) work_struct queued -> work_struct queued (no change)
3) work_struct running -> work_struct queued (so it will run again)

1 & 2 look supported from workqueue.h. Is the 3rd case true and
guaranteed? Is it okay to re-use the same work_struct in that case
while it's being executed? A work_struct function can re-queue
itself, so I hope #3 is supported.

The virtual device I'm working on has a single interrupt shared for
multiple rings. So whenever an interrupt occurs, I need to re-queue
the single work_struct on the workqueue to ensure we don't miss an
event. That is, we need to re-iterate all the rings if the interrupt
comes halfway through processing the list of rings. If multiple
interrupts come through while running, we only need to re-queue a
single work item for all of them.

Below is what I hope works for the code to give something tangible.

Thank you,
Jason

DECLARE_WORK(argo_work, argo_work_fn);
static struct workqueue_struct *argo_wq = alloc_workqueue("argo_wq",
WQ_UNBOUND | WQ_HIGHPRI | WQ_CPU_INTENSIVE | WQ_SYSFS, 1);

static void argo_work_fn(struct work_struct *work)
{
argo_interrupt_rx(); /* iterates multiple "rings" */
argo_notify();
}

static irqreturn_t argo_interrupt(int irq, void *dev_id)
{
queue_work(argo_wq, &argo_work);

return IRQ_HANDLED;
}