Re: [RFC 00/13] [net-next] drivers/net/Space.c cleanup

From: Finn Thain
Date: Mon May 17 2021 - 19:04:27 EST

On Mon, 17 May 2021, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> Leaving the more popular cards was a concession to making progress vs.
> having the whole cleanup blocked by individuals who haven't yet realized
> that using ancient hardware is best done (only done?) with ancient
> kernels.

By extension, using ancient kernels is best done with ancient userland.
And now the time has come to remove all the 'compat' nonsense.

Oh, wait, all of that old software seems to be riddled with bugs and
vulnerabilities.

And who would have thought that all those developers writing new code for
emulators and their users were holding up "progress"?

> Maybe things are better now; people are putting more consideration to
> the future of the kernel, rather than clinging to times long past?

If you've been doing engineering for a while you'll start to notice a
pattern: old designs that work get reused. That's partly why the latest
silicon contains ancient logic blocks.

When that changes, perhaps we can talk about "progress"...