Re: Silencing false lockdep warning related to seq lock

From: Boqun Feng
Date: Mon May 17 2021 - 00:24:05 EST

Hi,

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:52:31AM -0400, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Boqun,
> You might have worked on such issues so I thought you're a good person to ask.
>
> After apply Laurent's SPF patchset [1] , we're facing a large number
> of (seemingly false positive) lockdep reports which are related to
> circular dependencies with seq locks.
>
> lock(A); write_seqcount(B)
> vs.
> write_seqcount(B); lock(A)

Two questions here:

* Could you provide the lockdep splats you saw? I wonder whether
it's similar to the one mentioned in patch #9[1].

* What keeps write_seqcount(vm_seqcount) serialized? If it's only
one lock that serializes the writers, we probably can make it
as the nest_lock argument for seqcount_acquire(), and that will
help prevent the false positives.

Regards,
Boqun

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20190416134522.17540-10-ldufour@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/