Re: An open letter to the Linux community

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Tue Apr 27 2021 - 13:09:52 EST

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 02:53:47PM +0200, Giacomo Tesio wrote:
> The corporations behind the Linux kernel didn't take it well
> (you wasted their time and money! you outsmarted them! how dare!),
> but the hypocrisy in your commits is not the one you revealed.

Do you happen to have the slightest form of consideration for all these
individuals who review patches in the evening on their spare time while
you're comfortably watching TV in your sofa, probably from a device
running Linux by the way ?

Because this is exactly the problem here. It's always been known that
more reviewers would be cool, but interestingly, nobody has the time
to do so. However it looks like some still have time and budget to send
traps and point the finger saying "hey look, they didn't read fast
enough, I got them!". It's like pulling crutches from a single-legged
person trying to cross the street, watch her go and laugh once she
falls! Demonstrating a well-known weakness is easy. Pointing the finger
is easy. Helping however, requires another level, like kindly offering
help to that person to cross the street without the fear of being
looked at by others if you don't proceed in the best way. But surely
you don't have time or you're not qualified for this, because I don't
remember having seen you any single time responding to a patch here.

Or maybe you've just figured that you indeed have some time to help
with this in the future and it was an awkward offering from you to
kindly propose your help with reviews, in which case I'm sure a lot of
developers will be pleased ?

Willy