Re: [RFC] bpf.2: Use standard types and attributes

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2021 - 13:56:43 EST

Hello Alexei,

On 4/24/21 1:20 AM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
Nack.
The man page should describe the kernel api the way it is in .h file.

Why?

When glibc uses __size_t (or any other non-standard types) just because the standard doesn't allow it to define some types in some specific header, the manual pages document the equivalent standard type, (i.e., if glibc uses __size_t, we document size_t).

The compiler, AFAIK (gcc is CCd, so they can jump in if I'm wrong), using uint32_t in every situation where __u32 is expected. They're both typedefs for the same basic type.

I can understand why Linux will keep using u32 types (and their __ user space variants), but that doesn't mean user space programs need to use the same type.

If we have a standard syntax for fixed-width integral types (and for anything, actually), the manual pages should probably follow it, whenever possible. Any deviation from the standard (be it C or POSIX) should have a very good reason to be; otherwise, it only creates confusion.

Thanks,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar