Re: [BISECTED] Kernel 5.11.x breaks pulseaudio

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Thu Feb 25 2021 - 13:05:57 EST

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 18:28:41 +0100,
Heinz Diehl wrote:

> On 25.02.2021, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > It's no regression but the right behavior. This indicates that you're
> > trying a stream in 44.1kHz in one side of the full duplex stream while
> > 48kHz in another rate, and this cannot work properly with the implicit
> > feedback devices.
> [....]
>
> Well, I'm by no means an audio or recording professional, but if what you describe
> is the correct behavior, it means that absolutely all audio files played on
> my machine always will be resampled to 44.1kHz. Youtube from native 48kHz,
> highres audio 24/96, virtually anything I play. Could that be correct? And
> what can I do to be able to listen to highres audio again?

As already mentioned, it's about the sample rate of full duplex
streams, i.e. both playback and capture streams need to be aligned to
the same rate. IOW, if both streams are in the same 48kHz, it should
be fine as is.

Check which streams are running when you get the unexpected sample
rate by inspecting /proc/asound/card*/pcm* entries.

Takashi