Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commits in Linus' tree

From: Kees Cook
Date: Wed Feb 24 2021 - 16:31:09 EST

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 11:49:42AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 16:33:47 -0800 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:31 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > are missing a Signed-off-by from their committer.
> >
> > Gaah. Maybe I should do some pre-pull hook or something to notice this
> > automatically (like you clearly do).
>
> I have attached the scripts I run over things after fetching them, but
> before merging them (so not a hook, sorry). check_commits runs
> check_fixes - but just for my convenience.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell

Based on the pre-push.sample file, here is what I've added to my
.git/hooks/pre-push hook:

z40=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000

while read local_ref local_sha remote_ref remote_sha
do
if [ "$local_sha" = $z40 ]
then
# Handle delete
:
else
if [ "$remote_sha" = $z40 ]
then
# New branch, examine all commits
range="$local_sha"
else
# Update to existing branch, examine new commits
range="$remote_sha..$local_sha"
fi

if ! $HOME/bin/check_commits "$range"; then
exit 1
fi
fi
done

(and I modified check_fixes and check_commits to exit non-zero on failure)

I wonder if we need this in Documentation/maintainer/configure-git.rst
and to put check_commits and check_fixes into tools/ somewhere?

(Though goodness, please never aim your hook at your tree's tools/
directory.)

--
Kees Cook