Re: Please apply "xen-netback: delete NAPI instance when queue fails to initialize" to v4.4.y

From: SeongJae Park
Date: Wed Feb 24 2021 - 12:48:45 EST

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 18:21:09 +0100 Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 06:03:56PM +0100, SeongJae Park wrote:
> > This is a request for merge of upstream commit 4a658527271b ("xen-netback:
> > delete NAPI instance when queue fails to initialize") on v4.4.y tree.
> >
> > If 'xenvif_connect()' fails after successful 'netif_napi_add()', the napi is
> > not cleaned up. Because 'create_queues()' frees the queues in its error
> > handling code, if the 'xenvif_free()' is called for the vif, use-after-free
> > occurs. The upstream commit fixes the problem by cleaning up the napi in the
> > 'xenvif_connect()'.
> >
> > Attaching the original patch below for your convenience.
>
> The original patch does not apply cleanly.

I tested the commit is cleanly applicable with 'git cherry-pick' before posting
this. I just tried 'git format-patch ... && git am ...' and confirmed it
doesn't work. Sorry, my fault.

> > Tested-by: Markus Boehme <markubo@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> What was tested?

We confirmed the unmodified v4.4.y kernel crashes on a stress test that
repeatedly doing netdev attach/detach, while the patch applied version doesn't.

> I backported the patch, but next time, please provide the patch that
> will work properly.

Thanks, and apology for the inconvenience. I will do the check with posting
patch again rather than only 'git cherry-pick' from next time.

Thanks,
SeongJae Park