Re: [GIT PULL] Modules updates for v5.12

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 23 2021 - 15:11:11 EST

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is unacceptably slow. If that symbol trimming takes 30% of the
> whole kernel build time, it needs to be fixed or removed.

I think I'm going to mark TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS as "depends on BROKEN".
There's no way I can accept that horrible overhead, and the rationale
for that config option is questionable at best, and no distro will
ever enable it anyway since they all accept external modules.

If somebody cares about it, they can fix the horrendous build costs.

Linus