Build the kernel on macOS

From: Roman Bolshakov
Date: Tue Feb 16 2021 - 17:37:34 EST

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure this is right forum to ask (due to high volume) but I don't
know about any other that fits better. Is there any interest in making
macOS a first-class host to build linux kernel?

I'm quite sure [1][2] (a lot of similar posts can be easily googled)
there's a demand to build Linux kernel on macOS and QEMU is available to
provide executable environment for Linux on any virtual (via TCG) or in
some cases hardware-accelerated platform of interest.

Back in 2018 I managed to build x86_64 Linux kernel on macOS with
crosstool-ng altough a some patching was required for elfutils to
compile the kernel with CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y.

If one sends patches that helps to build Linux on macOS hosts are they
going to be considered at all?

1. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64297353/unknown-options-when-running-makefiles-for-linux-kernel-building
2. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10018764/building-linux-kernel-on-mac-os-x

Thanks,